About the Parish

Bromsberrow is a small rural parish 18km NNW of Gloucester and 5km SE of Ledbury, Herefordshire. It is in the administrative district of the Forest of Dean, although situated some 22 miles from the district town of Coleford.  The parish comprises of two settlements either side of the A417. This single carriageway is the main route between Gloucester and Hereford as well as serving as a junction of the M50.

The parish boundary changed in 1992 when Bromsberrow gained land from Redmarley D’Abitot to the east, and its boundary on the south-west was moved to the line of the M50 Motorway to take the village of Bromsberrow Heath from Dymock. Bromsberrow is the centre for social gatherings having the parish church, the school and the village hall.

The church, dedicated to St Mary is over 700 years old and has a ring of 6 bells. In the Yate chapel are two civil war banners, one the Royalist standard, the other Parliamentarian.

In 1871 a new school was erected close to the rectory and opened in 1872 as Bromsberrow National School, and is now known as Bromsberrow St Mary’s C of E Primary School.

The village hall was erected in 1992 using entirely local voluntary labour. In 2000 a grant was obtained to enable an extension to be built to include changing rooms and more toilets. These new facilities enabled the field to be used by caravan and sports clubs. Today the hall has two meeting rooms with capacity for 150 people and has become a venue for a wide range of functions.

A small business park has been created to the south-west, between the village and farmstead of Heath Farm. Following the closure of the village Post Office and Shop in 2013, residents came together to open a Community Shop on this site. Staffed almost entirely by volunteers, the shop offers a comprehensive range of groceries, local produce and daily papers. A small café offers refreshment for walkers and cyclists, with community lunches and events also taking place.